Home‎ > ‎family-protection‎ > ‎

Winter-Safety-Tips

Winter safety tips
  • Have the fire place professionally clean and inspected at least once year.
    • Use a hard variety of wood not pine – don’t burn newspapers, use more matches.
    • Be sure the flue is open.
    • Add a spark arrester to keep debris in the fireplace.

  • Keep pets and children away from fireplaces and fire pits. Heat can be trapped under the ash for several hours and may cause severe burns.

  • Don’t use the oven or stove burners as a heat source.

  • BBQ's should never be used indoors due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Be sure to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home. 
  • Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms- flu-like feeling, nausea, trouble breathing. Appears to go away when a person goes outdoors and is out of the home for a period of time.
  • Have all gas appliances checked out annually. Watch for a lazy yellowish flame. This may be a sign the appliance is not working properly. Call the gas company for assistance.
  • Space heaters. Newer models have automatic shut off when tipped over.
    • Keep 3 feet away from all furniture, drapes, and anything combustibles
    • Do not use while sleeping

  • Candles are for decorating not lighting.

  • Keep a good flashlight with working batteries in every room of your home.